I discovered mason jar salads a few years back and since then they have become a staple in our home. They take a bit of prep time but are well worth it in my opinion. These have become a big time saver for our family and have made it easier to eat a quick and healthy meal during the work week.
Here is the skinny on mason jar salad assembly. It is a layering process which is why they don't go soggy.
1. Choose how many salads you want to make. Line up your jars. I like to use a larger jar with a wide-mouth lid so it's easy to scoop out.
2. Add 2-4 tablespoons of your favourite salad dressing, depending how saucy you like your salad.
3. Chop and add your favourite harder veggies like carrots, beans, chickpeas (yum), celery, whatever you like. Add a layer of those on top of the dressing.
4. Add your other veggies like tomatoes, peppers, corn, cucumbers. You can also add a layer of grains like brown rice or quinoa if you want to make it a bit heartier.
5. Time for the leafy greens, spinach, lettuce, again you choose. This should take up about 1/3 of the jar.
6. Finally you can top with protein if you like, grilled chicken, tofu, whatever you prefer.
7. Put the lids on and put them in the fridge. When you're ready to eat shake them up and pour them on a plate, in a bowl, or eat them right out of the jar.
There are a ton of mason jar salad and breakfast recipes online, search them to find your favourites. This is a convenient way to stay on track with healthy eating. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!